How Often Do I Change The Water Of My Cold Plunge?

changing water cold tub with bucket

You will know when it's time to change the water.  It will become cloudy and might have a slight smell to it.  

My experience is about 2 to 3 weeks if I am using it daily and showering before use.  That is approximately 14-20 times used.  I also use a small fish tank filter that helps clean debris floating in the water.  

Changing the water in my 7 cubic foot chest ice freezer takes about 10 minutes.  It takes about 16 scoops of a 2/3 gallon bucket to remove all the water.  Then I use small cups and a tower to remove the remaining water at the bottom.  I have tried using a siphon but using buckets is much faster for mine located in my garage. It then takes about 5 minutes to fill 7 cubic feet, which is approximately equal to 52 gallons of water but I am only filling up the tub 3/4 of the way so it does not overflow.

The frequency of water changes in a cold bath can vary depending on various factors, such as the size of the bath, the number of people using it, and personal preferences. However, in general, it is recommended to change the water in a cold bath at least once every few weeks to maintain cleanliness and hygiene.

Factors such as body oils, sweat, and other contaminants can accumulate in the water over time, leading to a decrease in water quality. Additionally, if the bath is used by multiple people, more frequent water changes may be necessary to ensure optimal sanitation.  It's important to regularly clean the bath itself, including the interior surfaces and any filtration or circulation systems, to minimize the buildup of bacteria or algae. 

Showering before using a cold bath is a good practice as it helps to remove dirt, sweat, oils, and other contaminants from your body. By showering beforehand, you can minimize the introduction of these substances into the cold bath water, which can help maintain its cleanliness for a longer period of time.  I shower especially after I do a workout and I am sweaty.  

While showering does not eliminate the need for periodic water changes, it can certainly extend the time between changes. However, it is still important to consider other factors such as the size of the bath, the number of users, and any additional maintenance or filtration systems in place.

Overall, showering before using a cold bath is a good hygiene practice and can help prolong the intervals between water changes, but it is still recommended to change the water periodically to ensure optimal cleanliness and water quality.

Here is a cheap fish tank filter I use to clean the debris from the water and it sits on the bottom of the tank to help circulate the water.  This filter only turns on when the chest ice freezer is chilling or on.  I don't keep the filter on all the time but some people do.  

Here is a cold plunge guide that will help you build one for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment